Combined Labeling, Assignment, Registration and License Service Packages (Installment 1 of 2)
Hello Samantha –
This Service Package combines 4 separate activities described below for an effective discount of $825. This invoice is for the first 50% of the total fee of $2200, or $1100. I will get started immediately after you place this order by clicking the “Pay Invoice” button, signing the Service Package Engagement Agreement, and paying by credit card. I will issue the second invoice one month from today’s date.
GCO will research device / package labeling legal requirements for the sale and distribution of the device in the United States, and will provide written advice and opinion attendant to those requirements. The reference device is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B259KS9B?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I anticipate spending about 2 hours to ensure that I have covered all relevant federal and state law. I will provide a written opinion and recommendation without charge.
This is the first and logically prior step toward registering your copyright. I will assemble a short agreement in plain English that transfers all ownership rights from the Manhattan firm to your firm. When we register for copyright, we will also record this document with the copyright office, putting people on notice that you are the true owner of the copyright.
Here are the steps we will take to write the assignment agreement:
- Verify basic information. Your company name. Their company name. The name of the sound recordings in question, including file names. This can be done via email.
- Write a draft agreement. This should take me about two hours to complete.
- Review the agreement. I will walk through the agreement with you and make sure that it meets your needs and is correct. This will take about an hour.
- Write a final agreement. This should take about 1/2 hour. It will complete our assignment.
This will use my standard Copyright Registration Service Package, which is described and available at this link: https://www.generalcounsel.online/product/copyright-registration/. The link also describes the benefits of registration and the process I will use to register your works. I have confirmed that I can register up to 20 sound recordings in a single filing. Thus, the only Copyright Office fees are $85. I will also record the assignment with the Copyright Office at the same time I register. I will not charge extra for this, but the Copyright Office will charge $95. My fee is $300.
For registration, I will need you to supply the sound files to me in one of the following formats:
- aif, .aiff (Audio Interchange File Format)
- .au (Audio File)
- .mp3 (MP3 Audio File or Layer 3 Audio Compression)
- .wav (Windows Wave Sound File)
- .wma (Windows Media Audio File)
- .mp4, .m4a, .m4p (MPEG-4 Part 14 Apple)
This Service Package will include end user licenses that will accompany your device and the app. I will also recommend copyright notice statements.
I do not anticipate that the user will have to register and sign an online agreement Instead, for the app, a simple screen with an “I Agree” button will suffice. With the device, this may not even be possible. This will take the form of a “shrink wrap license,” and will have to include steps a user can take (including returning the device and getting a refund) if they do not agree to the license.
Here are the steps we will take to arrive at the End User License:
- Samantha demos both the device (and its packaging) and the app to Robert via zoom. I will need to understand the context for and the sequence in which the license will be presented. 1 hour.
- First draft completed. 3 hours (verify signature approach and draft agreement)
- Review. 1 Hour
- Final draft completed and ready for inclusion with product. 1 hour.
Additional Terms & Conditions
This Combined Service Package is governed by the terms of the GCO Service Package agreement with your firm. You are provided a copy upon purchasing this Service Package. This Service Package adds the following additional terms and conditions:
- The Service Package Fee is fully refundable upon your request until the services are rendered. If services have been partially rendered, you are entitled to a reasonable partial refund. The Service Package Fee will not be held in escrow and will be treated as belonging to GCO, subject to refunds. Refunds will be credited to the credit card that you used to purchase the Service Package.
- This Service Package does not include fees imposed by the Copyright Office, which we anticipate will be about $180.