Subscription-Based and Fixed-Price Legal Help
Streamlined Services, Transparent Pricing
With General Counsel Online, hiring an attorney isn’t complicated or costly. Know exactly what you’re paying for with our easy-to-understand pricing.
Our services are offered in two affordable pricing options:
- The Retainer, a subscription-based attorney-client relationship providing on-demand legal consultation for basic business decision-making; and
- Service Packages, which are fixed-price services for legal specific documents and deliverables, such as contracts, copyrights, trademarks, reviews, incorporation and so on.
Read about each below.
OPTION 1: Subscribe to a Retainer: for access to on-demand legal counsel
For on-demand legal counsel, we offer a Retainer option to secure General Counsel Online as your company’s attorney. Retainers ensure our availability to advise you for between 2 and 8 hours a month. You also receive access to secure software and your own Client Portal, which we use to facilitate collaboration and streamline your services.
Retainer clients get a 30% discount on the cost of Service Packages! Unused retainer hours also offset some or all of the cost of a Service Package.
This means that a Retainer may be your most cost-effective option, if you have more than a single, ‘one-off’ legal matter or would benefit from having your business lawyer ‘on-call.’
Our Retainer is offered at three affordable price points, each of which give your business access to varying levels of legal counsel and support.
Basicfor simple, occasional legal matters
- 2 hours Consultation per month
- Additional time @ $200 per hour
- 15 minute increments
Plusfor regular, repeated law-related issues
- 4 hours Consultation per month
- Additional time @ $150 per hour
- 15 minute increments
Premiumfor ongoing and frequent legal needs
- 8 hours Consultation per month
- Additional time @ $125 per hour
- 30 minute increments
Our subscription-based Retainer provides you and your company with a set number of hours per month for consultations about specific legal issues or questions. Each of our three Retainer tiers also sets forth a predictable hourly rate should you need more hours with GCO each month. For transparency, we track our hours in your private Client Portal so that there are no surprises when it comes time to pay your bill.
We do not provide litigation services or go to trial as part of the Retainer, nor do we provide specialty law (such as securities law, patent law, employment law or real estate law) — we can only offer referral and recommendations for those services.
Creating a Retainer
To establish a Retainer relationship with GCO, you and GCO will both sign an Retainer Agreement online, as part of the fulfillment process. If you are uncertain whether you should retain GCO for your legal needs, please schedule a brief interview with us to ask about our services.
We offer 3 different Retainer packages:
- A BASIC Retainer is for those businesses whose need for an attorney consultation is sporadic and infrequent. For $300 per month, GCO will commit to a cumulative 2 hours of live consultation time, arranged at your convenience, to address your legal questions and concerns. Consultation time in excess of 2 hours is billable at $200 per hour.
- A PLUS Retainer is for the business whose needs for legal consultation and services is greater and is likely to require 4 hours of cumulative, live consultation time per month. It costs $500 per month. Consultation time in excess of 4 hours is billed at rate of $150 per hour.
- An PREMIUM Retainer is for the business that will require up to 8 hours of consultation time per month. The Extensive Retainer costs $1000 per month. Consultation time in excess of 8 hours a month is billed at a rate of $125 per hour.
Click Here to order a Retainer
A Consultation is a live meeting, held online or over the telephone, to address your legal concerns and questions in a fully interactive conversation. Multiple people from your company can join a consultation as long as they are approved by the client representative. We conduct all of our consultations over Zoom for an easier and secure remote meeting experience.Ser
Reduced Price Service Packages
A Retainer entitles you to request additional fixed fee services, called “Service Packages” Retainer Clients get a 30% discount on the publicly-listed prices of Services Packages! Retainer Clients may may also apply the cost of the Retainer for a given month against the cost of a Service Package. So, for example, a Basic Retainer costs $300 and provides 2 hours a month of Consultation. You can use the 2 hours of Consultation time to the total time allocated to the Service Package, effectively reducing the price of the Service Package by $300.
Billing and Refunds
Your bill is never a surprise: if a consultation will cause you to exceed your hourly allotment, we will inform you ahead of time and provide options for adding more time and services at a fixed price.Retainers are billed in advance, monthly, starting on the date that you order the Retainer. When you order a Retainer, we guarantee our availability to you for the number of hours in the retainer. For this reason, the Retainer fee is non-refundable.
Carry-Over Hours. You may carry-over up to one month’s unused Retainer hours for a period of one month. After that, they are forfeit. For example, if you have 2 unused hours from January, they will be added to February’s total. In March, the January hours are removed from the total hours balance. Months may “cascade”: in the above scenario, any unused February hours will be carried into March, but lost in April. Please forgive the strictness of this policy: if carry-overs were permitted for more than a month, GCO’s promised availability for you and other clients would become unpredictable.
OPTION 2: Order a Service Package for a specific legal need
Service Packages are as-needed, fixed-price, packaged legal services intended to achieve a specific outcome for your business based on its situational needs. You do not need to be a Retainer client to order Service Packages. The output of Service Packages are specific documents and deliverables, such as contracts, copyrights, trademarks, reviews, incorporation and so on.
Each Service Package includes a “bundle” of services and documents. Click an icon below to read about and order a Service Package now, by clicking one of the icons below. You and General Counsel Online will sign an engagement agreement and start immediately to work on your Service Package deliverable.